Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Movie Review: Live Free or Die Hard / B-

The fourth installment of the Die Hard franchise is one I've been eagerly awaiting for years. It's been long rumored, and I honestly never thought it would come to be. It's a film I was hoping to love before stepping a foot into the theater as I had high expectations.

The film centers around a terrorist plot to shut down all major computer systems that run the nations most important institutions - financial, tranportation, utilities, etc. John McClane (Bruce Willis) unhappily accepts the simple errand of picking up a computer hacker (played well by the Apple commercial's Justin Long) who the FBI want to question as the takeover begins to unfold. The simple errand turns complex and before you know it, McClane is knee deep in bad guys and the chaos begins.

What I liked: Bruce Willis shows us that he's still got it. From silly one-liners to tough-guy stunts, he's in top form in what continues to be his best character to date. The chemistry between Willis and Justin Long is very good, both humerous and uncomfortable as they must work together to figure out what's going on. The pace of the movie is fast, as director Len Wiseman (Underworld, Underworld Revolution) keeps the action moving. The bad guy, played by Timothy Olyphant, is believeable and dangerous, but not because of his size and strength, but because of his brains and planning - a realistic redirection for the digital warfare that's waged this time around. It was PG-13, which meant there wasn't as much language and gore, however, it was dangerously close to an R rating, so be forewarned.

What I didn't like: Towards the end of the movie there is a scene that seems to be jammed in for the sake of adding more action. It's involves a jet fighter, and you'll know what I'm talking about as soon as the scene is under way. The relationship McClane has with his daughter is strained. It fits into the plot well but is a result of a father who hasn't been around for his daughter.

Overall: Live Free or Die Hard is a great addition to the Die Hard franchise, and I believe will not be the last. Made for $110 million, it's just about broken even at the worldwide box office after just one week in release. If you're a fan of the franchise, Bruce Willis or just looking for a fun summer movie with a solid plot, you won't be disappointed.

PG-13 / 2 hours 10 minutes / 20th Century Fox / Released: June 27th, 2007

2 comments:

Don Woodward said...

First, let me say that I'm thrilled to see the movie reviews. I'll have to bookmark you next to Rotten Tomatoes. You and I have discussed films for the past 20 years or so, and now its time for you to become a published critic... even if you do get it wrong sometimes. I'm also glad to see that the Fordice Forum is going to be more than a "baby blog", as much as I love all of your babies. We have enough of those blogs.

As far as LFODH goes, I'd like to see it and your commentary sets me up to want to go. Probably better on the big screen, huh?

Scott and Megan Fordice said...

With many big summer movies being released this year it's tough to catch them all on the big screen. I do think the big screen is the best way to catch action movies like Die Hard so if you can swing it go!